Monday, April 6, 2015

DIY | DOUBLE PEARL EARRINGS

These double pearl earrings are one of the easier jewelry DIYs I've done and they can be mixed and matched.  I was inspired by the beautiful Dior double pearl earrings but felt that the back pearl was too large for my petite self so I used a smaller pearl and changed the backing for more security.  For the front stud, I wore my own earrings, which could be pearls, or crystals, or any earring of your choice.  The magic happens with the earring backing.





MATERIALS:
-earring studs of choice (I got mine on sale at Old Navy)
-looped earring backs
-small jump rings
-pearl beads (I used 17.78 mm/7in)
-head pins OR wire

*All of the supplies can also be purchased as a kit or separately on Darby Smart starting 4/10

OPTIONAL:
-needle nose pliers
-small flat back crystals
-E6000 or other strong adhesive glue

NOTE: These earrings can either be made with head pins and pliers or wire and E6000.  I originally did not have head pins so I made a first set with wire and glue, stringing it through the pearl and hiding the open end with a small Swarovski crystal.  Then, I bought some headpins and strung the pearl through it, which is a more secure option.  However, I found the headpins to be quite sturdy and difficult to bend without needle nose pliers. If you have needle nose pliers, the head pins will work well and will ensure that the pearl does not fall off.




1. Open a jump ring and loop it through one of the loops of the earring backing.

2. HEAD PIN METHOD: String the pearl through the headpin and using needle nose pliers, loop the head pin through the jump ring.  Try to keep the loop as close to the pearl or else it hang too far below the ear.
   GLUE AND WIRE METHOD:  Cut about an inch of wire and apply a thin layer of E600 on one end, about the length of the pearl.  Push the wire through the pearl so that the end of the wire comes just to the end of the pearl.  Allow the glue to dry before proceeding.  Once the glue has dried, loop the wire around the jump ring.

3. Glue a small Swarovski crystal to the bottom of the pearl to cover the head pin or open hole.

4. Wear your beautiful earrings!


Check out Darby Smart for a whole library of great DIY projects designed by other bloggers and crafty individuals!  Use the code "howdydarby" for $10 off your first purchase! 

No comments :

Post a Comment