Tuesday, January 6, 2015

DIY | CUSTOM TEA BAGS

Hand crafted tea bags make wonderful gifts and Valentine's Day is just around the corner! I made these as Christmas gifts and the recipients loved them!

I used the rosebud tea from Cha for Tea to make these little tea bags but any kind of loose leaf tea will do.



               





Materials:
  • loose leaf tea of choice 
  • unbleached coffee filters
  • embroidery floss
  • cardstock
  • needle & thread or sewing machine 
1. First, cut out the desired shape from the coffee filters.  I recommend measuring out a scoop of tea to get an idea of how big of a tea bag you will need.  You could also use fabric instead of coffee filters for this step.  Sheer fabric looks especially beautiful with floral teas!

2. Sew along the edge of the tea bags, leaving one end open.  I used a sewing machine and stitched from the long end and went around the top, leaving the straight bottom open.  Once I got to the top of the tea bag, I stitched the embroidery floss in for some extra security.  

3. Staple the embroidery floss in place at the top of the tea bag.  Stitching and stapling will ensure that the floss will not rip off.

4.  Fill the tea bags with the recommended amount of tea.  I used one tablespoon of rosebud tea.  

5. Sew the remaining side shut.  A zipper foot will come in handy, allowing you to get a a close stitch without crushing the tea. 

6. Staple a piece of cardstock to the other end of the embroidery floss.  I decided to go with some leftover teal scrapbooking paper and cut them into hearts.  I added some short sayings, such as "You are wonderful" and "Have a great day" to mine.  Then, tie a knot with the embroidery floss over the staple to keep it in place

7.  Trim any excess thread.




 I added a few tablespoons of rosebuds to the mason jar to show off the beautiful little buds.  These can be used in a tea ball strainer!











No comments :

Post a Comment