Friday, February 10, 2017

RECIPE | STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE PASTRIES

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

In elementary school, I always looked forward to making my own Valentine's day cards for classmates.  One year, I cut out heart shaped cards and decorated them with gold pen and glitter to make them look like conversation hearts. I remember having a special one for the boy I liked. "Ur Cute"? Oh gosh, I hope I didn't write that, but I probably did.


This year, I had a potluck to go to, so I decided to make these cheery little puff pastry hearts. I love how fluffed and flaky the puff pastry is on the edges, with the sweet but slightly salty cream cheese and strawberry filling. I topped them off with a little powdered sugar and voila! the perfect Valentine's day treat.


The recipe for these beauties comes from Cooking Classy, and can be found here. I followed it exactly and found that my pastries needed to bake for 14 minutes. I did add one drop of red gel food coloring for extra brightness.


For those of you who don't have a heart shaped cookie cutter, you can simply cut out a pattern from a piece of paper. I used a 3x3 inch square as the guide for my heart. Lay the pattern on the puff pastry and use a knife to cut around it. You want the puff pastry to be thawed but still cold. If it thaws out too much, the dough will catch on your knife and it'll be harder to cut (plus, the packaging says it shouldn't be fully thawed when you bake it). If you find your pattern sticking, you can add a bit of flour, but as long as the puff pastry isn't too thawed, that shouldn't be a problem.



The concept behind these is quite simple and I'm already thinking about other fruit and shape combinations.


No comments :

Post a Comment